Tuesday 21 February 2017

Karyn's Kraft Korner

Yes, I'm aware that Karyn's Kraft Korner abbreviates to KKK. But I'm not going to be scared away from the easy (and appropriate) alliteration, just because some pernicious bunch of bigots beat me to it. So there. Or, as my husband's (Swedish) family would say, och därmed basta!

Karyn's Kraft Korner
I have already mentioned how I am helping a friend with her newly established business Grace & Favours in Northampton (England, not Massachusetts). I've even mentioned my 1:1 krafting sessions. At the moment, the furniture and construction of my Kraft Korner is temporary. It will improve, once things have stabilised somewhat. Nevertheless, I thought I'd show you how things look at the moment.

I put in some storage shelves today. More will no doubt follow in due course, since I filled those in short order!
On the back wall, you can see some pieces of organza. Those are samples: I'm going to make some photo backdrops for weddings. I won't be using the sewing machine you see under its white fabric cover practically dead centre of the picture. That's Jules's (shop owner's) machine. And I'm going to teach her to use it, come hell or high water!

In the foreground, you see a framed item I was working on today.  It's a sort of mixed media piece about Corduroy the bear. It's one of my favourite children's stories, and I was never able to read it to my sons without getting all choked up at the end. This was true of all my favourite bedtime stories. My children are probably convinced that most children's books end "...choke, sob, sniffle."

To the left of that is a rather pretty white lamp (you can see a lit one top left of the shot). Next up on the improvement plans is lighting suspended from above - lighting in the shop is pretty poor...which is okay since Jules has a distinct penchant for fairy lights, which abound, and are shown off to their own advantage by the absence of good light from other sources.

On top of the lamp is a piece of wood carving, that seems to have come off a traveller's caravan (Jules and I found it in a ditch one wet day). I have painted it cream. When it's dry, I shall burnish it with burnishing paste.
Willow heart

To the left of the lamp you see a heart-shaped box that Jules is working on. It's a slow-burner. She has other things on her plate, and since I do enough crafting for both of us, she's under no pressure to finish it until she feels inspired.

Only just in the frame on the left, is a heart I made from willow sticks suspended by copper wire from another willow stick. I'm rather pleased with its rough and ready look and it makes the most pleasant wind-chime-y sound when bumped. I might add some more copper wire to stabilise it at some point.

The table is cluttered, because it's in use. What you can't see is that there are at least two more projects underway on the other side of the table. One of them involves the red paper you see rolled up next to the sewing machine. The other involves carved bamboo spoons. I didn't carve them, but I am painting them.

Like I said: I craft enough for both of us.

So here's the thing. If you're a local person, why not book yourself in for a 1:1 session of krafting with Karyn? You can learn something new, improve a skill you're already working on, or relearn something old and almost forgotten.

In the run up to Mothers' Day (which is in March in the UK), I'm also offering sessions for people of all ages to make a gift for the first woman they ever loved.

Or you might like to gift your Mom with a voucher for a 1:1 session of her own. Contact the shop via our website (still under construction, but basically functional) or Facebook page (or just give us a call) to make your booking.

No comments:

Post a Comment