Monday 6 February 2017

Grace and Favours

I've been alluding to and hinting about this for a while, so perhaps it's about time I explained.

My friend Julie has set up a shop in Northampton called Grace and Favours. It opens its doors to the public tomorrow: Tuesday, 7 Feb 2017. It isn't something she expected to be doing at this point in her life, but that's a story for another time.

Grace and Favours will sell and hire out party, wedding and event decor, gifts and accessories. A selection of independent makers and crafters of related items have been given the opportunity to sell their wares through the store.
[This is probably the appropriate point to tell you that Julie is arguably the most gracious person I know. She has done a great deal - at significant literal and metaphorical cost to herself - to improve the lot of others in the Northampton area.]
The reason that I haven't written about anything much on this blog lately, is that I have been very busy helping Julie get the store ready. The two of us - especially Julie - have been hard at work. We:
  • Removed wall tiles relating to the previous business
  • Painted the whole store
  • Painted so many other items, I've lost track
  • Sourced vintage items suitable for hire, and travelled hither and yon to collect them
  • Gave abovementioned items some TLC where necessary
  • Spent large amounts of (Julie's) money at hardware stores, craft supply stores, fabric stores, Preloved, eBay... the list goes on
  • Assembled a photo booth
  • Built an upcycled service counter
  • Strung more fairy lights than you can shake a stick at
    More fairy lights than you can shake a stick at
  • Made and installed display spaces for the various traders
  • Crafted all manner of small items to include in the stock: heart shaped trinket boxes, doggy bandannas, badges, tealight holders...
  • Fetched, carried, assembled, drilled, hammered, painted, lugged, sweated
  • Drank a lot of Diet Coke (with citrus splash in my case - Jules prefers the original)
  • Lost sleep
  • Injured ourselves (especially me) with various sharp and/or heavy things
  • Sang along to the music emanating from my phone on the dock in the corner
  • Shed tears of frustration, anguish, pain, and - fortunately - laughter
So, as you can see, it's been a bit hectic!

In my personal capacity, I will be working in the store part time in order to help Julie get established. In my capacity as 'Karyn's Kreations' I will offer 1:1 'krafting' sessions and group workshops. I will also 'kreate' stock for the store. My alter ego, 'your friendly upsycho' will upcycle things to order for the business as required. In time, we will see how it all balances out.

If you're local to the Northampton area, or find yourself in the area for any reason, pop in and say hi.

No comments:

Post a Comment