Saturday 21 January 2017

Link love digest: week 3

This is the third week of my daily 'link love' posts. I have tended to major on UK based makers and crafters, simply because they are part of my local economy, and I'm very keen on supporting the local economy wherever I go. I have already shared the link to one Austrian crafter, and a few other non-UK based pages are lined up for the future.

Please take a moment to visit the Folksy shops in the links below. Especially if you're looking for something special for someone special.

This week, my shares have looked like this.

From Peter's Folksy shop
Peter Morrison
Solas
"I started designing in 1999. Most of my products started life as something else, a washing machine, car parts or a piece of driftwood I enjoyed taking things apart re-engineering them for an alternative use.I get a lot of my materials donated from car garages, engineering companies and family. Before starting a piece I always look at the materials natural shape, character and texture then it tells me what it wants to be and I created."
Heather Tempest Elliott
Tempest Elliott Printshop
"I have always been creative, trying many different forms of arts and crafts. I went to university to study photography, video and media but craved making something more physical. So I have gradually been trying out printmaking and I adore it! It's great when you find something that is your hobby but you also want to make your job!
From Heather's Folksy shop
I was initially inspired by my trip to Sweden in the summertime, all the different landscapes, the sea and trees- it was a bit of a lightbulb moment! I am always inspired by nature and love a challenge so I pack all of my prints full of tiny details, then combining these designs with bright, bold colours to create something a little different for your walls. I now have the option of hand printed cards if you just want something a little smaller but with just the same amount of craft involved."

Jill, Nicki and Emma 
My Auntie Made It

"We are three Aunties who love to make beautiful things with love in every stitch.
From the Three Aunties' Folksy shop

We make quilts ( any size and to order ) cushions and pretty home accessories as well as purses to bags and everything in between.

We use all sorts of material and try to recycle pretty cottons if we can.

If you see something you like in our shop but would like a different fabric please do get in touch and we will work with you to deliver a design in a fabric and size that you will love."
Fiona Bradshaw
Fiona Bradshaw Designs
From Fiona's Folksy shop
"My inspiration comes from finding existing objects and combining them together in a way that gives a product thematic character. I enjoy reclaiming objects from boot fairs, then either restoring them, changing them, combining them, or all three to create a functional object that has its own character or identity. I am happy to do commissions if you have any objects or themes you would like to be incorporated into a piece of furniture."
Linda Adkins
Leather Design and Craft
"I have been making the things I want to use out of leather for decades, for archery shops for a number of years and for the last three years, full time. Pulling together years of mixed media art and craft experience to design, make and embellish useful items. Design influences? Essentially practical, no frills but with applied designs to suit, these started off as celtic and wildlife inspired.... then a wyvern and an octopus happened and now adorns many of the hair slides, flasks and coasters. My official line has developed into 'things I like drawing'!
From Linda's Folksy shop

One thing that is very important to me is to source leather and fittings responsibly. Many of my hides do not conform to a batch, they are oddments, cast offs and surplus stock, often classified as 'Industrial Waste' (madness) and over 3/4 of the buckles are the odd ones that would otherwise land up in a skip simply because it is not worth suppliers/retailers time to sort/store small quantities.

My workshop is at the front of my cottage (in rural Hertfordshire) although I am likely to work in the kitchen, dining room or garden during the day and often settle down in front of the fire in the evening to sew, make up or decorate pieces"
 Julie
From Julie's Folksy shop

The Posh Scarecrow
 "Working with fabric is a passion of mine and I love making cards so I have combined the two. My unique greeting cards are not just cards, they are a present and a keepsake all in one to be enjoyed for years to come. I like to think of them as an unfolding story. I create greeting cards and gifts that are memory makers and are a pleasure to give."
Claire Barrett Smith
Claire's Handmade Textile Art and Boho Fashions

"I have loved sewing since my mum gave me a sewing machine for Christmas when I was 13 years old (around 30 years ago!!) I now teach Art and Textiles in a secondary school. I love teaching and I adore creating unique Bohemian style garments and wall art.

From Claire's Folksy shop
I use a mixture of new, hand dyed and reclaimed fabrics and trimmings and a range of experimental techniques and processes. Many of the trimmings I use are from Turkey, a place I visit a few times each year with a culture that inspires my colourful, decorative designs. Everything I make is unique, designed and lovingly hand made by me. I like to think of the garments I spend many months creating as 'Wearable Art'.

If you see something you like in my shop and would like something similar but in different fabrics, colours, a different size or with a different motif, I am sure with a little discussion I could create a custom order just for you. Please do not hesitate to contact me- I love making custom orders!!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment